Sunday, 11 September 2011

[Movies] One Day

Starring: Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess
Director: Lone Scherfig

I have nothing to do this afternoon so I checked the local movie listings to find something to pass the time on. I saw One Day is showing and I remember Anne Hathaway on the movie poster I saw last week. I decided to watch this instead of Contagion. (Thanks Wil.)

Since this is a Hathaway movie, I have to watch it. I'm in love Anne since her first appearance on the movie Princess Diaries. I did a little digging on the internet about this movie so that at least I have something to look forward to. I restrained myself to read significant spoilers. She is paired with Jim Sturgess. I haven't seen his other films. Yes, I haven't seen 21 (thank you IMDB for the info). So according to sources I've read, this movie is based on a novel by David Nicholls. He also wrote the movie's screenplay. Since I haven't read the book, I will not comment on how it is faithful as an adaptation.

Cover of "One Day"Cover of One Day
The movie is based on two “friends”, Emma and Dexter, whose lives keep on intersect on the anniversary of their first meeting. At first I thought, how will the movie pull this off telling 20 years worth of friendship with just one day for each year. Suffice to say, I was satisfied. I loved the evolution of the character of Dexter. Of course, the writer of the novel is a man that is why the male lead's character is full. (I also loved Nicholas Sparks' male leads.) Even though I can relate with Dexter (especially with his relationship with his mother), I say I can relate more with Emma. That is something to talk about with me over coffee (or beer).

Visuals, I loved how the characters are addressed appropriately for the season. The bulk of the movie is set on the 90s and for that decade, almost every year have different fashion and hairstyles. It was reflected on the movie and since I grew up in the 90s, I really loved it. Music was also used to emphasize the time setting, including songs from Tears For Fears, Robbie Williams, and Ronan Keating.

Although I watched this alone (seems to be a recent trend to me), this is a good date movie. Might as well check out the original novel and the soundtrack album.

Quick Rating: 3.5 (of 5) stars.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: